Global Category Lead - Marketing, Travel and Events
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Global Category Lead - Marketing, Travel and Events (GCL) in our Deerfield, Illinois office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a GCL working on the Global Procurement team, you will be empowered to provide global category leadership and own the development of the global Marketing, Travel and Events Category Strategy to support key corporate objectives for the worldwide Takeda organization.
The role will include:
Focusing on complex market facing spend categories in Marketing, Travel and Events with critical business impact and a value of up to $1 billion. The Global Category Lead will embed the Category Strategy through effective management and engagement with an extensive network of both internal and external stakeholders. The GCL is also responsible for the overall delivery of multi-million dollar savings targets as agreed with Finance and executive level business stakeholders, and endorsed by the Procurement Leadership Team (PLT).
In collaboration with the PLT and business stakeholders, the GCL will lead the development, implementation and maintenance of formalized Category Management organization structures and category management methods. Importantly, the suppliers in this category are considered integral to the Takeda business and the GCL will ensure appropriate Supplier Relationship Management efforts are implemented effectively; the objective of which is to ensure performance delivery, continuous improvement and access to innovation from supplier relationships in order to achieve value contribution targets while managing supply risks.
Through the application of rigorous Category Management tools, systems and techniques, the GCL will deliver measurable business value (operational and financial). In addition, this role will take personal ownership of large and/or complex supplier arrangements and provide subject matter expertise to their extended team for other supply and commercial arrangements.
Category Management Accountabilities:
- Consolidate complex supplier, market, category and internal business data and information, and develop and implement a cohesive, business-aligned long-term (3-5 year) Category Strategy at both the category and sub-category level.
- Lead the bottom-up aggregation of all category data to inform the top-down target setting process, reconciling gaps between the bottom-up and top-down targets. This will require identifying a pipeline of strategic category initiatives and opportunities with high potential returns (Savings / Productivity / Risk Management / Innovation) that will meet or exceed targets, using external supply market / business intelligence, the application of benchmarking methodologies and internal business partner knowledge
- Develop the Annual Category Plan (short to medium term outlook) based on the Category Strategy, business planning activities and category pipeline and oversee delivery for all areas within the category to meet or exceed annual targets, ensuring communication with the relevant stakeholders and key business partners.
- Own the development and maintenance of a Category Management Handbook to translate the Category Strategy and Annual Category Plan into clear, practical guidance for key procurement and functional colleagues and ensure a best practice approach to operational buying.
- Create, lead and coach cross functional global teams through the various stages of Category Management and ensure the resources, information and tools are in place for project execution throughout the category, providing expert support and guidance where required.
- Ensure delivery of and accurate reporting of Procurement Balanced Scorecard measures and Value Contribution targets for the category (operational metrics, savings, quality etc.) achieved from implemented strategies.
- Work with the required functions or other areas within Procurement (e.g. Process & Systems) to put programs in place to deliver spend accuracy in the covered category area in line with agreed goals.
- Ensure an extensive and thorough risk / CSR review is regularly undertaken and mitigated within the category scope of control.
- Ensure a robust approach to Supplier Performance and Innovation (SP&I), supported by member(s) of the SP&I team:
- Perform overall category supplier segmentation to identify key supplier relationships, with whom regular business supported reviews will be undertaken to at a minimum ensure delivery to expectations and target value over and above the contracted value via areas such as Innovations.
- Establish value creation targets with key suppliers
- Implement supplier development and innovation programs with key strategic suppliers to the organization
- Determine and implement consistent category-wide Key Performance Indicators (KPIs graded by level of segmentation and associated supplier performance review schedules)
- Ensure reporting of supplier performance against goals at both a sub-category and regional level and share with the business functions and/or PLT where necessary
- Ensure contractual arrangements, incorporate compliance and performance against KPIs
- Ensure structures are in place to efficiently identify, manage and mitigate supplier risks
- As well as within Procurement, develop strong working relationships with key business stakeholders and General / Administrative functions such as Finance, IS, HR, Legal, Privacy and Compliance to ensure appropriate inputs to category strategies and implementation plans
- Build an extensive global network of business partners across key business units to ensure the needs of the organization are met
- Support the global development and standardization of core category management infrastructure (Processes / Systems / Tools) and encourage adoption across global category teams to improve overall Procurement efficiency, performance and compliance
- Establish clear roles and responsibilities of the extended category team and ensure these are clearly communicated and understood by all interested parties
- Establish a category specific escalation process and ensure internal issues related to the category performance are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
- Train and coach procurement staff and category team members worldwide and provide opportunities for professional development
- Conduct the individual performance management process for all direct functional reports and contribute any feedback to any project related resources
- Develop a succession plan for the team to support career development and ensure a pipeline of talent
- Work with Finance and Legal functions to ensure a clear approach is in place to facilitate the simple and effective application of any contracts developed in the category area to be implemented at a global, regional and local level (as needed) including both terms and conditions and sign off procedures
- Identify budget needs to support the annual operating activities of the category team (travel, training, team meetings etc.) and ensure this is provided as part of the annual budgeting cycle to the appropriate PLT member.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Degree level educated
- 10+ years in-depth strategic and operational procurement experience with extensive knowledge of category management and advanced strategic sourcing methodologies
- 10+ years overall business experience, including working within a regulated industry for regulated categories
- Demonstrated success leading global cross functional project teams to generate material value across multiple complex categories
- Documented experience leading cost reduction and value improvement programs
- Proven Financial and Business Acumen (TCO, TEI, NPV & Cost Modeling)
- Outstanding communication and project management capabilities with an ability to set priorities, direct staff and deliver complex strategic initiatives
- Ability to efficiently navigate complexity and ambiguity within a corporate cross regional environment
- Change management and process improvement skills with direct experience in delivering complex business process / organizational change
- Strategic thinker with solid facilitation skills supported by excellent interpersonal competencies (communication, leadership, influencing) and the ability to explain complex procurement concepts to different audiences in an engaging manner
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management
- Ability to lead and manage effectively in a truly global, fluid, interactive, matrix environment
- Skilled and experienced in project and risk management
- Skilled and experienced in the application of Strategic Relationship Management principles and techniques
- Knowledgeable in offshore operating environments ideally with experience of Captive, Build Operate Transfer, Managed Service, Functional & Full Service concepts
- Expert proficiency in basic MS Office software
- Knowledgeable in Procurement specific systems and processes for the efficient management of sourcing events and contract negotiations (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction) with familiarity and awareness of relevant legal risks and issues
- Post graduate business related qualification
- Documented international strategic sourcing experience
- Pharmaceutical Industry or Management Consulting experience
- Experience with enterprise systems (SAP, Oracle) and Procurement / procure-to-pay tools such as (e.g. Ariba, Emptoris, SAP, SMR) is preferred
- Any Professional Purchasing (e.g. CIPS), Project Management, or Finance related licenses or certifications would be considered advantageous
High flexibility and willingness to travel (air and ground both domestic and internationality) for various meetings at Takeda and Supplier sites.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.