The candidate supports Takeda s Structural Biology and Biophysics Department by managing maintenance, repair and effective operation of protein purification, structural biology and biophysics equipment (e.g., NMR, ITC, MS, FPLC, ultracentrifuges, etc.) and by preparing precise and high-quality solutions and reagents in support of protein expression and purification, biophysics and structural biology studies. In addition to managing department lab equipment and supporting reagent preparation, candidate provides other department support that contributes to the efficient, continuous and effective operation of the Structural Biology and Biophysics Department.
- Manage maintenance, repair and effective operation of protein purification, structural biology and biophysics equipment (e.g., NMR, ITC, MS, FPLC, ultracentrifuges, etc.).
- Work closely with protein chemists, structural biologists and biophysicists to prepare high quality small molecule and protein solutions for structural and biophysics studies.
- Maintain strong technical and operational understanding of the instrumentation and techniques used to perform protein chemistry, biophysics and structural biology research.
- Support effective operation of the structural biology and biophysics laboratory, including managing supplies and inventory.
- Conduct protein chemistry, structural biology and biophysics experiments.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MS degree with at least 8 years of biology research laboratory experience or BS degree with at least 10 years of biology research laboratory experience.
- Research experience relating to protein chemistry, biophysics and/or structural biology and operation preferred.
- Experience managing maintenance, repair and effective operation of protein purification, structural biology and biophysics equipment (e.g., NMR, ITC, MS, FPLC, ultracentrifuges, etc.) also preferred.
- Experience preparing high-quality protein solutions for biophysics studies also preferred.
- Familiarity with structural biology methods such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy and Electron microscopy also preferred.
- Strong attention to detail including ability to prepare needed lab reagents with high precision.
- Positive can-do attitude who works well on teams.
- Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Use hands on a regular basis to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Less than or equal to 5% travel